If you are a bricklayer or a plumber and you would like to offer building services to the local community, the procedure of setting up a small business is quite straightforward. Here are a few aspects to consider when setting up a small local service business.
- Define your service region – Using a map, draw a radius around your base to determine the scope of your customer base. It might be 25-30 miles, or further if you are prepared to travel. It is worth noting that the larger the area you cover, the more potential customers you have.
- Business Assets – Whatever your trade, you will need a comprehensive tool kit and for the best deals on vans, check out Vanango, the UK’s leading van dealer with great finance deals and free delivery. Start with a single mobile unit and remember you can easily outsource work you are unable to carry out and be customer focused at all times and you will gradually create a good reputation.
- Public Liability Insurance (PLI) – Every business must have PLI, at least £2m, which is standard for a small business and you will need to register the business in some form; either as a sole trader or a limited partnership with a fellow tradesman and once you are self-employed, you need to keep records of all your transactions and you will be paying tax at the end of your second year.
- Digital Marketing – An essential component, you need the help of an SEO agency to get you established on social media and with an aggressive digital marketing plan, your message will reach the homeowner. Always take before and after images of all your projects and be customer focused, even if it means no profit on a contract, as this will be your legacy. Facebook would be your primary platform for marketing and by hiring an SEO agency, you can quickly generate a large following.
- Associations & Federations – Credibility is essential in the domestic service sector, so join the major associations and federations of your industry and post their logos on your website, as this will assure the customers that you know what you are doing.
- Competitive Pricing – As you would expect, there is a lot of competition in this sector and your prices need to be very competitive, as homeowners do compare quotes for home improvements.
If you have the right attitude and are proud of the quality of your work, there are no reasons why you cannot become established, just make sure that the customer is always happy.